Hacking Bangkok Blog

Tech and Living in Thailand's City of Angels

The Hacking Bangkok blog covers I.T. and technology in general, and my experiences working and living in the Kingdom of Thailand. Bangkok has a very long Thai name, which starts with Krung thep - City of Angels.
Bangkok sunset from my bedroom balcony

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

As Usual - I Find Out About Bangkok Protests on Google News


As is often the case, I just found out the latest news about the seemingly never-ending protests and counter-protests that Thais are having by scrolling past the headline on Google News. Doh!

The city is so huge, that other than some newspaper reports I read about planned protests (by both pro- and anti-government protesters, who really disagree) while being rained on in Koh Samui island over the weekend, there just wasn't any evidence of anything big going on today. I even walked to the grocery store and bought a turkey, potatoes, bread cubes, etc. (I cook a big Thanksgiving dinner every year), and walked back, and nothing. Nada.

After catching the latest episode of "Heroes", I was checking out Gizmodo, and decided to check Google News - and the protesters have gathered at Bangkok's international airport, which the government proceeded to shut down. Okay, so I'm glad these losers didn't decide to "occupy" the airport yesterday (since I flew back from Samui last night), but ya know, they've just lost any sympathy they might have had from me. Don't mess with the airport - airports are a big enough pain the butt for everybody involved on the best of days. Get the *$$! out of Suvarnabhumi Airport already.

This post was slightly off-topic, although the fact I find out about almost anything going on here (the occasional bloodless coup, protests, etc.) via the internet is a source of some amusement (for me anyway - I'm obviously easily amused, lol). Thai politics are amusing for a whole HOST of other reasons that I'll save for an article on the main hackingbangkok.com site.

0 comments: